Sunday, February 10, 2008

Art

I must admit that as much as I try to be cultured, open-minded, appreciative, intellectual, etc... I often really struggle to understand art, all forms really. (I might venture to exclude music from this category.) Quite simply, I like art that is aesthetically appealing. If it is not, it has to move me or make me think. I think artists often aim for the latter, but the problem is that I often just don't get it! Perhaps it's because I think within a scientific paradigm where I look for clear answers and explanations? Strangely enough all three of my current courses: Spatial data analysis (which is very statistical), Systems Thinking and Ecosystem Management, are challenging that paradigm. I wouldn't go as far as to say that there are "other ways of knowing", but I will concede that you certainly can't know everything by following a scientific process.

The problem is that we all think within a paradigm and generally you can't see it while you're in it. It's like living on Earth and not realising it's a sphere. Only when you're luck enough to catch a spaceship to the moon can you see this! There are other ways of knowing the Earth is round, because people realised this before we flew to the moon, by noticing things, and saying how can this be true? It can only be true under particular conditions. Does this mean that perhaps we can escape our paradigms? I don't think we can escape, but we can perhaps expand it, or replace it with better ones, or use different paradigms dependent on the situation - since there is "no one right answer". I think there is some hope if we reflect, observe and discuss.

Anyway, back to art.... I like art that makes me feel things and is beautiful. I discovered an artist Ian Sheldon (he lived in South Africa as child for sometime, but is not South African; and is now living in Alberta, Canada) and I really like his art for these reasons. So I thought I'd share it with you. What do you think? http://www.iansheldon.com/paintings.html

2 comments:

Stuart said...

I'm not sure if we can escape our worldviews, they act as the foundation for all our beliefs.

But we can adopt a worldview that enables our beliefs to respond to new information. so while we cant escape with one step, many small steps can take us places we couldn't imagine before.

I like the paintings!

TLT said...

I agree, it's impossible not to have a worldview! But we can try create one that is enquiring, critical and open at the same time.

I'm glad you like the paintings. If I were rich these are the types of paintings I'd buy. I'm envious of this painter, to create something so meaningful and beautiful seems really fulfilling.
(It's typical - as soon as I join academia again that I begin dreaming of something else!)