Last Sunday, my flatmates (Bianca and Yi) and I went to the Calgary Zoo. I really enjoyed it, though alot of the animals were very sleepy while we were there. Perhaps we didn't go at the right time of day. I was really curious to the grizzly bears, which are the subject of my thesis, as this would be my first opportunity to see them. Unfortunately they were dozing amongst the boulders so I couldn't get a good look at them. I must admit that I loved the hippos, since I've never actually seen them in Africa. The tiger was also beautiful, pacing up and down the fence, growling in what seemed to be frustration or pent up rage!
Other animals that stood out were the energetic river otter, some tiny little squirrel-like creatures in the "creatures of the night" and all the primates.I do however, feel a twinge of regret for those animals which look bored, like the Indian elephant and some of the primates in gloomy cages and not much natural sunlight. I don't think we really get to appreciate their true range of behavior and individuality in zoo conditions. And I wonder how many people coming by really connect with the animals or rather see them as dumb automaton
Other animals that stood out were the energetic river otter, some tiny little squirrel-like creatures in the "creatures of the night" and all the primates.I do however, feel a twinge of regret for those animals which look bored, like the Indian elephant and some of the primates in gloomy cages and not much natural sunlight. I don't think we really get to appreciate their true range of behavior and individuality in zoo conditions. And I wonder how many people coming by really connect with the animals or rather see them as dumb automaton



No comments:
Post a Comment