Saturday, June 28, 2008

Humans, falling short of our ideals

Mary Wollstonecroft asked why women should submit themselves to the authority of men who are most imperfect, rather than trust their own judgment in "The Vindication of Women's Rights" (late 1700's)? Even if some suggest that the ideal would be to have the man as the head of the household, most men fall far short from the ideal spiritual human being. So why then should we assume that the man is the best endowed to make decisions in the home?

The sad truth is, that most human beings are irrational and selfish to a greater or less extent, sometimes rather stupid, inconsiderate, ignorant, stubborn and neglectful. This list describes the less harmful flaws of human beings. True, I'd rather not say that I'm always right, but I cannot submit my own instincts and thoughts entirely to another. Rather, if I were married, I'd prefer discussion as equals about the best way forward. Though, I acknowledge that it may easier to leave some matters to the other if they are more willing or able.

Human beings are not good at taking care of each other and making the best decisions for others. I guess I follow the typical Western philosophy where I think the individual is best equipped to make decisions about their own happiness in general. Others can give support, advice, etc., but ultimately the individual must decide their own fate. Unless of course it has obvious and serious adverse affects on others that are unreasonable and otherwise avoidable.

This also leads me to the topic of humans caring for animals. Animals are conscious beings who experience happiness as well as pain and misery. Yet, humans, who at the very least, can be careless, ignorant, lazy, neglectful and at the very worst purposefully greedy and cruel, are entrusted with the care, rearing and slaughter of billions of animals around the world, from domestic animals for food, animals for testing, animals in zoos and animals as pets. I wonder if we are really responsible and compassionate enough to bare this duty? Many stories I've heard suggest that we are not. I shudder to think of the cruelties inflicted on animals whether purposefully or not.

No comments: