Wednesday, March 9, 2011

2 lessons learnt and re-learnt today

1. When travelling, ALWAYS bring a weather-appropriate and comfortable pair of shoes.

2. Trust your instincts. When will I learn to trust my instincts? I have had misgivings about participating in this report and meeting for months, and yet, because I really wanted to develop my career in environment, I did anyway. The key thing that I forget repeatedly, is that timing is everything and there's no rush. Not that I should sit on my laurels expecting opportunities to come my way, but I can work towards long-term goals gradually, without jumping at opportunities that I'm just not ready for, or in the wrong time and place. This is exactly what I did when I accepted a PhD position at the University of Victoria long before I finished my MSc, which I eventually had to turn down. I could even say the same about doing my MSc in Calgary. While I did want to study further and live in another country, launching myself into yet another Geomatics degree and running away from all my challenges (and opportunities) in South Africa was rather brash. Although, many good things have come from my decision, I don't think that compelling myself into such a challenging situation and the wrong degree was the right thing to do. If I really wanted it, I could have made other opportunities to study further or travel.

1 comment:

Sid said...

I wish you wrote pieces like this more often. Gives a great glimpse into your life.