
The campus of the University of Calgary, is quite attractive, I like it very much (picture on the right). Unlike UCT, it's pretty flat which makes it more spatious and easier to get around. It doesn't have a beautiful mountain as a backdrop, but it does have lots of trees and open grassy space now covered with snow. There's a huge food court, and amazing sports facilities like an Olympic size skating rink, ice-hockey courts(?), gym, dance studies, volley ball courts, basketball courts, swimming pool, etc. And there are always people doing sport throughought the day. There are all sorts of classes, but unfortunately they're not free. So I'm going to stick to going to the gym(which is!) and very soon I'll get up the courage to try ice-skating.
I've noticed, that most of the odd jobs, like being a shop assistant, cleaning, cooking, renting out equipment, is taken by students. There are loads of ways for students to make pocket-money here. In South Africa, those kind of jobs are often people's primary source of income and permanent employment. Which I suppose sucks for the, as it doesn't pay much, and for students who can't supplement their income with convenient jobs. But South Africa is whole different place, with a totally different history.
Clothes: Well, it seems people are pretty modestly dressed. Cold, cold weather doesn't give people many choices. Dress warm, dress warm, dress practical. So it's tyipcally a big jacket, jeans, boots or tackies, and a touque (beany). I have seen a few people making statement like today I saw a girl wearing a short skirt without any stockings! (And I thought girls in South Africa put themselves through torture to look attractive!)

I moved into residence about 5 days (see pic on the left). I have a lovely little apartment which I share with 3 other people. Only Yi, has been there so far, but I think Bianca (from Germany) returns today from her Christmas break. With 4 people, it will definitely be quite crowded. It already has a pretty strange smell and I don't know where it comes from. It could be from the fridge or food cupboards which are still overflowing from the previous term. I never knew students could own so much food. It was also pretty filthy when arrived. I don't think Yi and Bianca ever cleaned. But I've been doing some spring-cleaning bit-by-bit and it's getting better. But in general, I love it so far. It's so convenient to be on campus. I like to emersed in university life. And Yi is really easy to get along with, interesting to chat to and very sharing.
The view from my room. (p.s. can someone tell me how to label these damn photos?!)
No comments:
Post a Comment