Monday, January 7, 2008

Weather, people and movies in Calgary

The weather so far has been quite "pleasant". The temperature seems to have varied between - 1 C and - 20 C (at night). Fortunately, with no wind blowing and very low humidity it is quite bareable (provided you don't have to spend too long outside). I was suprised though when I first arrived how the cold goes right through normal pants. It's as if I wasn't wearing anything. So a pair of long-johns is essential. I am warned however, that this weather is very mild, and that the temperature will drop and the wind will rise, and snow will fall! I'm looking forward to it! :) Another major feature of weather in Calgary, is the Chanook warm winds that come over the rockies and raise the temperature above 0. this causes snow to melt and ice to form, but the reprieve from the cold is welcome. I never thought I'd say it, but when I see 0 C, I think "it's going to be a warm day"! :)

The Calgarian people are quite diverse, but people of European decent still seem the most common. Next appears to be Chinese/Japanese. So far I have only had good experiences. Shop attendants and administrative officers, are friendly, helpful, efficient and can understand what I say the first time! I've often been welcomed to Canada or told to enjoy my stay here by strangers. I haven't met any First Nation People but I have seen three First Nations on the trains, and they didn't look that healthy. All three looked rather shabby and seemed rather drunk. But they all had lovely long black hair! Hopefully, this stereotype will be dispelled.

Yesterday, my flatmate, Yi, her Japanese friend, Sari, and I took the train to the biggest shopping centre in Calgary (Chanook). It was pretty nice, but I'm not sure it was bigger than Canal Walk. We went to see the movie Kite Runner - which was superb - I highly recommend it. But the real shocker was that it cost $12.50 which times ~R7 is a loooot of money. Anyway I was there already so what choice did I have? The electronic ticket purchasing machine then went further to disturb my chi by tricking me and Sari into "free" butter popcorn which was just an extra $0.49, except that, actually only the butter was 49 c and the popcorn was an additional $5! Oh well, lesson learned. I won't make that mistake again!

3 comments:

Chart Smart said...

NICE Blog :)

Sid said...

Wait ... what is first nation people? Also what part of the butter popcorn was free? You paid for both the butter and the popcorn. What? The movie cost more than R70 to watch? And what exactly is Kiterunner? More details please.

TLT said...

Hi Sid,

answers to all your questions:

First Nation People is the more pc way of referring to "Red Indians".

Yes, I ended up paying $5.49 for butter and popcorn.

An movie was closer to R84 to watch.

Kite Runner is a brilliant book (which I've started reading) and a movie about friendship and Afganhistan.

Sorry if unclear, I wrote this in a rush.