Saturday, January 19, 2008

University Life

I survived the first week at university and it was pretty enjoyable. The workload is quite hectic though. I spent most of today reading and writing, and now tonight, Saturday night, I'm back in my office. It's not all hard work though, last night I went with the International Centre to the opening of an Art Exhibition in Downtown. I would have taken photos, but it's illegal. The exhibition, was interesting, the art had something to do with over-consumption, concentration of power, urban decay and environmental degradation. Well, that's what we guess, you never know with art. Every painting contained the same theme with the same well-spread table in the forefront - this started to the joy out of "interpreting" the paintings. My favourite artwork however, was a low-key video of a person hacking out a sod of grass from a lawn. This was accompanied by bizarre "music" over that. Wow! I'm just not deep enough.

Otherwise it's been snowing here for about two days. The snow is finally thick and incredibly fluffy. It is indescribably delightful to flick one's feet through the snow, or lay the first set of footprints, or feel the snow flakes tickle one's face.


Tomorrow, I'm having a Chinese lunch with Zhao Xing, and then we're off to Fort Something (???) with the International Student Centre. This fort was the base for the Royal Mounties and the beginnings of Calgary. Truth be told, my not be able to go because of work, but I hope too.
Anyway I must get back to reading about Systems Theory.

No comments: