I've been Canada for just over a week already and finally I'm able to blog.
This might be boring, but for those of you who are interested, I'll start from the beginning of my journey to Canada.
Everything about my flight and "immigration" into Canada went smoothly. No hassles at all besides the fact that I was in an aeroplane or airport for 30 hours which caused severe physical discomfort from lack of sleep and movement.
For most of the flight time, the atmosphere was covered by thick clouds, but for amazingly a large portion of Greenland and the most northern parts of Canada were explosed. I saw a vast snow-covered wilderness. The sun was permanently set at late afternoon twilight. We flew partially over Hudson Bay which was frozen. It was incredible, but no polar bears could be seen unfortunately ;)
I arrived in Calgary just before 3pm on the 28th of December. Dianne and her son, Darren, arrived promptly. Much to my dismay, there was no underground parking lot, or warm parking garage, so I experienced the cold (-5 C) immediately. It wasn't as bad as I expected though. I think the dryness and lack of wind makes the cold, less cold.
The first picture shows me outside of Dianne and Robert's house. This is a typical Calgarian house. The houses have a very different style from South African houses. Calgarian houses seem quite modest, as if they belong in the countrside from another era.
Dianne and Robert kindly looked after me for the first week that I was in Calagry (until yesterday - Thursday 2nd). They're an elderly couple whose many children are all grown up. I think Dianne enjoys the company and taking care of people. I ate very well and was taken many shopping centres (there's one on every block really).
This might be boring, but for those of you who are interested, I'll start from the beginning of my journey to Canada.
Everything about my flight and "immigration" into Canada went smoothly. No hassles at all besides the fact that I was in an aeroplane or airport for 30 hours which caused severe physical discomfort from lack of sleep and movement.
For most of the flight time, the atmosphere was covered by thick clouds, but for amazingly a large portion of Greenland and the most northern parts of Canada were explosed. I saw a vast snow-covered wilderness. The sun was permanently set at late afternoon twilight. We flew partially over Hudson Bay which was frozen. It was incredible, but no polar bears could be seen unfortunately ;)
I arrived in Calgary just before 3pm on the 28th of December. Dianne and her son, Darren, arrived promptly. Much to my dismay, there was no underground parking lot, or warm parking garage, so I experienced the cold (-5 C) immediately. It wasn't as bad as I expected though. I think the dryness and lack of wind makes the cold, less cold.
The first picture shows me outside of Dianne and Robert's house. This is a typical Calgarian house. The houses have a very different style from South African houses. Calgarian houses seem quite modest, as if they belong in the countrside from another era.
Dianne and Robert kindly looked after me for the first week that I was in Calagry (until yesterday - Thursday 2nd). They're an elderly couple whose many children are all grown up. I think Dianne enjoys the company and taking care of people. I ate very well and was taken many shopping centres (there's one on every block really).
The picture on the left is the view from my bedroom at Dianne's house.
The one below is a typical walking alley between the houses of Calgary. These go for miles so that you hardly ever have to walk on roads. All the open space, parks and a greenbelt up the Bow River to the Rockies mean that wild animals such as rabbit, squirrel and deer often are found grazing in the local parks. Last week a lynx wondered all the way from the Rockies into the city!
Pretty hey?! :)
1 comment:
You're right! Snow really isn't that bad unless the wind is blowing it in your face.
Post a Comment